[AstroPy] ESA Summer of Code in Space is starting

Wolfgang Kerzendorf wkerzendorf at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 11:11:44 EDT 2013

Hi all,

Despite the fact that summer is already fading, ESA Summer of Code in Space is just starting. Jeff Taylor was just selected to work with astropy-specutils for three months. First of all: Congratulations!

His initial timeline will have to be shifted as ESA moved the deadline, but here is his grand plan:

-----
1st phase: Method 1 (2013-08-10 to 2013-09-13):

Weeks 1-2: Background reading and familiarization with wavelength calibration, plus pseudocode design for Method 1.
Week 3: Design the code in Python and begin peak finding.
Week 4: Finish peak finding, begin peak centering.
Week 5: Finish peak centering, fit mapping of pixel coordinates to wavelength coordinates using astropy.modelling.

Mid-term review: 2013-09-14 to 2013-09-20

2nd phase: Method 2 (2013-09-21 to 2013-10-11):

I've set aside 3 weeks for this phase, but I'm not sure how realistic that is as I need more information about what exactly needs to be done.

3rd phase: Wavelength mappings and wrapping the project up (2013-10-12 to 2013-11-01):

Week 10: Creating wavelength models using astropy.modelling and creating a link to the fitted wavelengths.
Week 11: Store the calibrated wavelength on disk using a variety of formats (e.g. ASCII, FITS, etc.) and also read those formats back into a python model again.
Week 12: Final debugging and submission of project.

Adam G. and I will be his primary supervisors, but I'm sure that if he has trouble the community is more than happy to help him.

Welcome Jeff!

Cheers,
     Wolfgang