[AstroPy] Announcing SunPy 0.3.0

Stuart Mumford stuart at mumford.me.uk
Fri Aug 30 11:38:44 EDT 2013

Hello,

It gives me great pleasure to announce the release of a new version of
SunPy. This version has been rather too long in the making, but is here at
last!

SunPy 0.3 is now available through PyPI and pip:
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/sunpy and via GitHub:
https://github.com/sunpy/sunpy/releases/tag/v0.3.0

The biggest change in 0.3 is a shift away from our Map and Spectra
datatypes inheriting numpy.ndarray to having their array in a `.data`
attribute. This was done to make development of these objects easier and
more flexible and also to improve our compatibility with Astropy. In the
process of doing this the map submodule has undergone a massive refactor to
streamline the creation and inheritance structure of the module.

For more details about the changes in 0.3 see here:
http://www.sunpy.org/2013/08/30/announcing-sunpy-0-3/

SunPy 0.3 consits of 9 months of work from 15 people and over 300 commits
to the git repository.

The people who have contributed to this release are (in commit order):

    Stuart Mumford
    Russell Hewett
    Florian Mayer
    Steven Christe
    Albert Shih
    Simon Liedtke
    Ankit Angrawal
    Jack Ireland
    Matt Bates
    Nabil Freij
    Keith Hughitt
    David Perez-Suarez
    Tomas Meszaros
    Benjamin Mampaey
    Andrew Leonard

On behalf of all the SunPy developers, we hope you enjoy 0.3!

Stuart Mumford