[AstroPy] Astropy 0.3 and TPV projection

Michael Droettboom mdroe at stsci.edu
Tue Dec 3 16:22:33 EST 2013

On 12/03/2013 03:49 PM, Kyle Barbary wrote:

> Thanks for the explanation David. I wonder if there should be a blurb
> describing this, and listing the supported projections (that *are*
> part of the WCS standard) in the astropy.wcs docs? Or is something
> like that already there and I missed it?

I don't think we do have it in the astropy documentation, but we should.
This is what it is (copied from the wcslib source code):

|const char prj_codes[28][4] =
   {"AZP", "SZP", "TAN", "STG", "SIN", "ARC", "ZPN", "ZEA", "AIR", "CYP",
    "CEA", "CAR", "MER", "COP", "COE", "COD", "COO", "SFL", "PAR", "MOL",
    "AIT", "BON", "PCO", "TSC", "CSC", "QSC", "HPX", "XPH"};|

Mike

> - Kyle
>

> On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 2:42 PM, David Shupe <shupe at ipac.caltech.edu
> <mailto:shupe at ipac.caltech.edu>> wrote:
>

>     On Dec 3, 2013, at 12:15 PM, Kyle Barbary <kyle at anl.gov
>     <mailto:kyle at anl.gov>> wrote:
>
>>     The TPV projection [1] is also being used by the Dark Energy
>>     Survey. I think support for TPV would have to be implemented in
>>     Mark Calabretta's wcslib C library, which underlies astropy.wcs.
>>     It seems like programs that do support TPV generally use the
>>     "other" wcs library [2]. Does anyone know if support for TPV is
>>     planned for wcslib?
>>     It would be really nice to have.
>
>     I believe Mark Calabretta is limiting his wcslib to implementing
>     the WCS standard. TPV, like SIP [3], is a registered convention
>     but is not a part of the official standard.
>
>     As I understand it, there's some modification done to Calabretta's
>     library in astropy.wcs to support SIP. Michael Droettboom is the
>     expert on the details.
>
>     I have code that translates between SIP and TPV [4] that I'd like
>     to incorporate into astropy.wcs, but there's some paperwork to
>     push through to be able to release it.
>
>     David Shupe
>     IPAC/Caltech
>
>>     [1] http://fits.gsfc.nasa.gov/registry/tpvwcs.html