[AstroPy] Fwd: Call for Lorentz Center Workshop proposals. Deadline 15 January 2014

Thomas Robitaille thomas.robitaille at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 11:51:06 EST 2013

Hi everyone,

The Lorentz center in Leiden has put out a call for workshop proposals
(see below). I would like to put in a proposal to organize a week-long
Python in Astronomy workshop during which we can have presentations,
sprints, tutorials, etc. If a proposal is accepted, the full costs for
the conference are paid for by the Lorentz center, so this doesn't
require applying for any other source of funding. If you think the
idea is interesting and would potentially be interested in joining
forces to write such a proposal, please let me know!

It might be nice to have a one-off meeting on specifically python in
astronomy rather than just a special session at a SciPy meeting, and I
think a LOT could be achieved by bringing together a few dozen
developers, users, etc. The Lorentz center is really nice - every
participant gets their own desk (typically 2-3 people per office), and
there are several bigger meeting rooms in addition to the lecture
room, so it would be an amazing place to hold a workshop with an
emphasis on making real progress in the coordination and development
of Astropy python packages.

Cheers,
Tom