[AstroPy] Documentation or examples for working with UV-FITS files?

Eric Jensen ejensen1 at swarthmore.edu
Fri Dec 20 11:07:46 EST 2013

Hi all,

Can anyone point me to any documentation about UV-FITS files?  I'd like to be able to take two UV-FITS files written from CASA (one of observed data and one of a model) and calculate the chi-squared of the data-model comparison in uv space.  But I just can't find enough (read: any) documentation of the format to get a sense of how to do this.

There's some information linked from here:  https://safe.nrao.edu/wiki/bin/view/Software/CasaAipsSpwDefinition
but it's a little hard (for me at least) to parse.

As far as python implementation, Googling reveals this set of basic routines:

http://www.mrao.cam.ac.uk/~bn204/alma/memo-turb/uvfits.py

but no documentation.   And CASA has some uv data handling routines, but it doesn't appear to have general arithmetic routines for uv data.  So I'd like to try to implement this in python, but I need some docs to help me get started.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give,

Eric