[AstroPy] fits table column values

Slavin, Jonathan jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu
Mon Dec 23 11:16:24 EST 2013

Hi all,

Maybe I'm being dense today, but I'm not clear on how to do something
pretty basic.  The issue is that I have essentially 3-D data wherein the
data is not known on a uniform grid.  That is, although the data is on an
x-y grid, neither the x values nor the y values are uniform.  I want to
save the values (i.e. z values) at each point in the grid in a fits file.
 The natural thing to do is either create an image or a table, but
specifying the grid is not quite so straightforward in either case.  For a
table one could have one column be an axis (e.g. 'y') and save the y
values, but then the x values are the table column 'names', which I think
have to be strings.  Nothing is fundamentally unworkable about that, it's
just a little awkward to have string versions of the numeric axis values.
 If I output an image instead, then I'm left with specifying the grid
locations in the header.

So, I do have ways of doing what I want to do, but it just seems that the
ways I've thought of are not the simplest ways.  And I wonder if there
isn't some other way that I haven't thought of.  Any hints on this would be
appreciated.  Maybe some other output format (e.g. hdf5) would be better?

Jon

Jonathan D. Slavin                 Harvard-Smithsonian CfA
jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu       60 Garden Street, MS 83
phone: (617) 496-7981       Cambridge, MA 02138-1516
fax: (617) 496-7577            USA