[AstroPy] fits table column values

Evert Rol evert.rol at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 11:39:00 EST 2013

 Hi Jon,

I think you can use a table perfectly fine. Though I'm not used to FITS tables, you can afaik store vectors there as well, so a floating point 3-vector for each entry could work. In HDF 5, a simple compound table with x, y and z floating points column works also fine (which is what I'd use).
If you want to go the image way, you probably need a second "flag" image to indicate the valid pixels. But yes, you'd get (a lot of) non-essential data.
I assume you only want FITS to store the data; not use it to inspect the data in e.g. DS9.

In fact, rereading about the FITS vector tables, perhaps you can just create an 3 x N image, with N your number of points and the other axis indicating x, y and z. So each pixel contains the x, y or z value (essentially thus the table disguised as an image); just what you feel comfortable with. (Though I'd be curious to hear if there are objections against this approach).

Cheers,

  Evert