[AstroPy] extracting column names from VOtable

Michael Droettboom mdroe at stsci.edu
Mon Feb 25 12:57:32 EST 2013

I admit, this is horribly confusing because the term "name" is used in
VOTable and Numpy to represent different concepts.

In VOTable, ID is guaranteed to be unique, but is not required. Names
are not guaranteed to be unique, but are required.

In numpy, names are required to be unique and are required. titles are
not required, and are not required to be unique.

So a name is not a name. The conceptual mapping is really that vo name
== numpy title and vo ID == numpy name.

Admittedly, this deserves better documentation in astropy, but I think
this is actually the correct mapping of concepts.

I have proposed to the VOTable committee to make IDs required, which
would make this much more straightforward, but I have not heard a
determination about this, and it appears that it will at least not make
it into VOTable 1.3 -- we might have to wait for VOTable 1.4 for that if
at all.

Mike