[AstroPy] Question regarding WCS coordinates

John ZuHone jzuhone at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 14:36:39 EDT 2013

Hi all,

This question is probably more about WCS than it is about Astropy, but I intend to use Astropy to do it so I thought I would ask.

I have some projected maps of gas temperature of a galaxy cluster that I made from FLASH simulation data using yt that I have put into FITS files. I also have some simulated Chandra event files made from the MARX Chandra simulator, of the same system.

I would like to match the WCS coordinates of the two files. The simulated events file already has WCS coordinates in RA and DEC, and this is the coordinate system I would like to use for the temperature map. The information I have for the temperature map is the cell spacing in kpc, and the redshift of the simulated cluster, so with the chosen cosmology I also have the distance.

How can I go about this? Sorry, I realize this is a bit involved (at least it seems that way to me).

Best,

John ZuHone