[AstroPy] IRAF tasks to Astropy

Erik Tollerud erik.tollerud at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 12:58:07 EDT 2013

The answer to this probably depends on what you want to do with the
tasks - those tasks have a lot of options and can be used on a variety
of inputs, so there's definitely not an exact mapping onto anything in
astropy.

Most, if not all of the things that mkpattern seems to do can be done
with just standard numpy array mechanics. E.g., if you wanted to do

cl> mkpat alpha[201:250,1:50] v1=-1000

you could instead do this in python (I *think* I have the indexing
conditions right, but you might want to check it) :

>>> alpha[200:250, 0:50] = -1000

The other two tasks can be used in a few different ways, but are
generally for creating WCS headers for fits files?  In that case, you
can use astropy.io.fits to generate the files, and astropy.wcs to
create the WCS.  To go into more details probably requires more
specifics about what you want to do.

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Sofia Lianou <slianou at uwo.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if there are Python/Astropy equivalents to (or plans to do
> so in the near future for) the following IRAF tasks:
> noao.artdata.mkpattern
> images.immatch.wregister
> images.imcoords.ccsetwcs
>
> Thank you,