[AstroPy] Centering saturated images

Maria de Juan Ovelar mlj.ovelar at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 08:19:32 EDT 2013

Dear AstroPy-ers,

I am a PhD student working on imaging polarimetry.
Sorry if this is a too basic question for the mailing list but I would like to know what is, in your opinion, the best way to center images that have the central ~20 pixels saturated and if there are tools in python that can help wit this specific task.
Me and another student were playing a bit with fitting a moffat profile (with saturated pixels masked) but it seems that it is not accurate enough.
Any ideas? would a cross-correlation work better? and do the cross-correlation work with saturated pixels masked?

Thank you very much!
Maria