[AstroPy] ESA Summer of Code in Space 2013

Slavin, Jonathan jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Jun 20 08:42:54 EDT 2013

Hi Adam,

I have used pyspeckit.  There are parts of it that are very useful, but I
found overall that it didn't do what I wanted.  For example, I wanted to
give it my spectrum, have it display it, allow me to manually (in the gui)
place my guesses for line centers (would probably need guesses for widths
as well) and then fit the lines (and continuum) and return the fitted line
centers, widths, and amplitudes, etc. along with error estimates.  It's
been a while now since I used it, but as I recall, pyspeckit did not do all
of those things.  There may have been other reasons as well, but in the end
I wrote my own fitting routines to work with the data.  Am I wrong about
the capabilities of pyspeckit?

Jon
Jonathan D. Slavin                 Harvard-Smithsonian CfA
jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu       60 Garden Street, MS 83
phone: (617) 496-7981       Cambridge, MA 02138-1516
fax: (617) 496-7577            USA