[AstroPy] AstroPy Digest, Vol 81, Issue 12

Thøger Emil Rivera-Thorsen thoger.emil at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 18:08:27 EDT 2013

On 20-06-2013 22:02, Aldcroft, Thomas wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 3:20 PM, Adrian Price-Whelan
> <adrianmpw at gmail.com <mailto:adrianmpw at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I'm totally lost on what thread I'm responding to, but +100 to what
>     Perry said about GUIs! IMHO there is plenty to keep us busy working on
>     the modeling and backend, and we should focus our efforts on making
>     that code super slick and useable *first*, then worry about a GUI
>     (which, also IMO, are overrated! why do you want to click on your
>     absorption lines anyways??).
>

> I understand you are being a bit sarcastic, but I did half my thesis
> on QSO absorption lines and I'll tell you that being able to click on
> those lines was a lifesaver.  I wrote a Fortran / PGPLOT-driven GUI
> tool for analyzing absorption lines which people were still using 10
> years later.  Suffice to say that GUI's are useful, but I fully agree
> with comments regarding the separation of computation from interface.
>
> - Tom

Interesting - I did my Master's Thesis on QSO absorption lines, and used
a fortran/pgplot based GUI for my modeling. VPfit, to be precise.
That is also when I learned what a difference a good GUI can make: Joe
Liske's VPguess interface to vpfit was a life saver for me. Would your
work have happened to be on any of those two tools?

It bears repeating again, of course, that any good GUI is characterized
by the fact that any important setting an be saved and preferably
manually edited in a configuration file and loaded at a later point.