[AstroPy] How can I create a VOtable from a python list?

Michael Droettboom mdroe at stsci.edu
Wed Mar 6 09:08:41 EST 2013

The general approach you're taking here -- to create a Table and then
convert it to a VOTable -- is the right one here.  The Table class has a
much richer set of things it can convert to and from (it's sort of our
"hub" class for everything that's table like).

However, I don't believe it supports construction from a list in the way
you're trying.  There is a doc page about constructing a table here,
that may be helpful:

https://astropy.readthedocs.org/en/v0.2/table/construct_table.html

That said, I tried to convert your example to the form where the Table
is constructed from a Numpy structured array, and still ran into the
same exception:

from astropy import table

from astropy.io import votable

import numpy as np

x = np.array(

     [("CIG12",1.2345,0,2,999,"COMMENT"),

      ("CIG122",1.23452,0,2,9992,"COMMENT2")],

     dtype=[('a', str), ('b', float), ('c', int), ('d', int), ('e', int), ('f', str)])

print x.dtype

t = table.Table(x)

votable = votable.tree.VOTableFile.from_table(t)

So maybe we're both still doing something wrong.  I've Cc'd Tom
Aldcroft, the primary author of the Table class, as he might have more
insight.

Mike