[AstroPy] How can I create a VOtable from a python list?

Thomas Robitaille thomas.robitaille at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 11:03:53 EST 2013

Hi Susana and Mike,

This looks like a bug to me - I've opened
https://github.com/astropy/astropy/issues/849

Also, initializing from a list of tuples currently behaves the same as
a list of lists:

In [11]: t = Table([("CIG12",1.2345,0,2,999,"COMMENT"),("CIG122",1.23452,0,2,9992,"COMMENT2")])

In [12]: print(t)
  col0    col1
------- --------
  CIG12   CIG122
 1.2345  1.23452
      0        0
      2        2
    999     9992
COMMENT COMMENT2

but I think that to be consistent with Numpy, initializing from a list
of tuples should create tables with each tuple being a row, which is
what Susana wanted to do. Initializing from a list of lists should
treat them as columns, as it does.

Cheers,
Tom