[AstroPy] Importing packages across distributions?

Jonathan Slavin jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu
Tue May 7 09:06:20 EDT 2013

Hi Christoph,

I don't know about the Fermi software, but you can install sherpa (the
CIAO analysis package) as a standalone python package.  I've used it
that way (though I didn't install it).  See
http://cxc.cfa.harvard.edu/contrib/sherpa/

Regards,
Jon

> Hi,
>
> I've run into a similar problem ? I wanted to install astropy into the
> Python that comes with the
> Chandra [1] and Fermi [2] analysis tools to be able to use astropy and
> their tools from the same script.
> [1] http://cxc.harvard.edu/ciao/index.html
> [2] http://fermi.gsfc.nasa.gov/ssc/data/analysis/software/
>
> Sometimes it is possible to make this work, but most of the time (at
> least on Mac) the astropy build fails.
> The problem is that these analysis packages are basically impossible
> to build from source (at least on Mac),
> so one has to get the binary distribution and then some
> incompatibility with the compiler or other libraries
> on the user machine occurs when trying to build astropy.
>
> I guess there's nothing that can be done to improve this situation
> from the astropy side,
> except maybe share hacks how to make it work?
> Or if someone knows people maintaining those big astro analysis
> packages that come with their
> own Python to ask them to test if building astropy works with their
> Python on common platforms?
>
> Christoph
Jonathan D. Slavin              Harvard-Smithsonian CfA
jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu         60 Garden Street, MS 83
phone: (617) 496-7981           Cambridge, MA 02138-1516
 cell: (781) 363-0035           USA