[AstroPy] volunteers sought for astropy wikipedia entry

James Turner jturner at gemini.edu
Mon Nov 4 14:28:39 EST 2013

> The "official" guideline for notability:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:GNG#General_notability_guideline

There's a lot of wiki-nerd jargon there, but digging a little bit,
I'd think github stats ought to help establish notability? Eg.:

   https://github.com/astropy/astropy/graphs/contributors

For example, NumPy cites this page, which is also a non-static
status reference:

   http://buildbot.pypy.org/numpy-status/latest.html

Also, whoever is an editor ought to be able to argue that
acceptance of such an article by A&A is notable in its own
right. The NumPy page also links to some conference presentations,
for which we have these:

   http://conference.scipy.org/scipy2013/presentation_detail.php?id=212
   http://adass2013.cfht.hawaii.edu/presenterdetails.php?id=221

I could add those myself but it would be anonymous (plus I'm
currently still the domain owner so don't look independent).

The guidelines say that non-commercial organizations are usually
notable if "the scope of their activities is national or
international in scale" and "information about the organization
and its activities can be verified by multiple,[1] third-party,
independent, reliable sources". Failing the above, I'd have
thought having a few prominent institutions link to the upcoming
3.0 announcement ought to do the trick?

Cheers,

James.