[AstroPy] volunteers sought for astropy wikipedia entry

Peter Erwin erwin at mpe.mpg.de
Tue Nov 5 04:18:30 EST 2013

On Nov 5, 2013, at 2:40 AM, RayS <rays at blue-cove.com> wrote:

> At 04:31 PM 11/4/2013, Derek Homeier wrote:
>> <snip>
>> thanks for the link; yes, it seems external links and
>> cross-references to/from other
>> Wikipedia pages are the main support to show this is not just some
>> sort of inbred
>> project! It would probably be even better if there is an online
>> reference to the use
>> of astropy on that page. But I'd say this fits perfectly into the
>> ==Use== section proposed
>
> I added the use section, and added a few starters; the methodology
> was to use Google Scholar to search for references:
> http://scholar.google.com/scholar?start=10&q=astropy&hl=en&as_sdt=0,5
> then use <ref>{{cite  ...  }}</ref> template to insert the references
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_templates
> Ex:
> <ref>{{cite journal
> | url=http://arxiv.org/pdf/1307.5851v4
> | title=Discovery and redshift of an optical afterglow in 71 square
> degrees: iPTF13bxl and GRB 130702A
> }}</ref>
>
> There are of course a lot more...

Using the full-text search option at ADS turns up a total of 12 (including the already-mentioned
ones):
http://labs.adsabs.harvard.edu/adsabs/search/?q=+full%3A%22AstroPy%22&db_f=astronomy&year_f=[2011%20TO%202013]

(I'll let someone more familiar with Wikipedia's quirks decide which would be best to include.)

cheers,

Peter

Peter Erwin                   Max-Planck-Insitute for Extraterrestrial
erwin at mpe.mpg.de              Physics, Giessenbachstrasse
tel. +49 (0)176 2481 7713     85748 Garching, Germany
fax  +49 (0)89 30000 3495     http://www.mpe.mpg.de/~erwin