[AstroPy] FITS files and column descriptions

Yannick Roehlly yannick.roehlly at lam.fr
Fri Nov 8 07:32:43 EST 2013

Le Thu, 7 Nov 2013 21:59:46 +0000,
Paul Kuin <npkuin at gmail.com> a écrit :

> My (biased) feeling  is that you cannot
> go around having a second metadata file when going to ascii.

Hi Paul,

You are right, having all the metadata on a separate README file is
really important; I know people not even putting the column names in
the data files to be sure users read the README.
But I also think having the metadata inside the data file is useful as
a reminder when working with the data.

Concerning the column descriptions in FITS files, pyfits /
astropy.io.fits does not handle them, but it is always possible to add
the TCOMM keywords manually to the HDU headers.

Regards,

Yannick

--
What is mind?  No matter.  What is matter?  Never mind.
		-- Thomas Hewitt Key, 1799-1875