[AstroPy] FITS files and column descriptions

Perry Greenfield stsci.perry at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 08:51:05 EST 2013

What TOPCAT is doing is in no way part of the FITS standard. As far as I can tell, it isn't even listed as a registered convention. It's exactly this sort of thing that drives us nuts regarding FITS. Somehow people expect us to read and support anything anyone happens to stuff into a FITS file and handle its semantics correctly.

Sorry, it's not going to happen within the FITS module itself. If you want to use it, you need to layer something over FITS to handle it.

Perry