[AstroPy] colour RGB images and plotting

Sebastian sebas0 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 16:49:16 EST 2013

Hoping for some advice.. We are using Montage and the montage_wrapper in
python to build stacked RGB colour images from individual *.fits images in
three different astronomical bands of the same field. With the mJPEG
command, Montage produces the RGB *.jpg image using three previously
generated reprojected images. This *.jpg image file includes a header with
WCS and other meta data.

Anyone had any success in making matplotlib plots of Montage jpg images
accessing on the JPEG header info? We wish to make plots of sections of the
jpg image, overlay small boxes around source positions, plot coords grids,
etc.

- any previous experience? Best wishes!
Sebastian.