[AstroPy] RICE support in PyFITS (was: AstroPy Digest, Vol 86, Issue 9)

Erik Bray embray at stsci.edu
Mon Nov 11 17:47:28 EST 2013

On 11/11/2013 02:52 PM, Sebastian wrote:
> Just wondering, will RICE compressed FITS files also be supported?

Hi Sebastian,

I'm not exactly sure how this related to the messages in the digest you
responded to, but I'm assuming you're asking about support for RICE compressed
FITS images in PyFITS and/or Astropy.

RICE-compressed images (and images compressed with other algorithms support by
the FITS Tiled Image Compression Convention [1]) have been supported by PyFITS
(and by extension Astropy) for some time now.

If there was some file you had trouble reading, possibly created with more
recent versions of fpack, it's possible that it was using some newer extensions
to the convention that were not previously supported.  Though soon we will be
releasing PyFITS v3.2 and Astropy v0.3, both of which support the latest version
of this convention (2.3, released in July 2013).  So if you *are* having
problems with this it's likely that will solve them.

Erik

P.S. Support for the beta features in fpack for compressing binary tables is not
yet implemented, but hopefully that's not what you're referring to.

[1] http://fits.gsfc.nasa.gov/registry/tilecompression.html