[AstroPy] colour RGB images and plotting

Thomas Robitaille thomas.robitaille at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 02:49:53 EST 2013

Hi Sebastian,

You can use APLpy to make the RGB images and embed AVM meta-data:

http://aplpy.readthedocs.org/en/v0.9.9/howto_rgb.html

http://aplpy.readthedocs.org/en/v0.9.9/howto_avm.html

Also requires PyAVM to be installed: http://astrofrog.github.io/pyavm/

If you can't get the AVM part to work, then once you've made the RGB
image, you can first call APLpy's FITSFigure with the FITS file that
has the same projection as the RGB image, then you can do ``show_rgb``
with the RGB image and it will use the header from the FITS file.
Ideally though, the AVM stuff should work. Let me know if not.

Cheers,
Tom