[AstroPy] iraf's imexamine equivalent in python

Joe Philip Ninan indiajoe at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 16:56:44 EDT 2013

Hi,
I am trying to pythonise many of my old Pyraf interactive scripts to as
much pure python as possible. One of the major hurdle is a replacement for
iraf's imexamine.

I have heavily used
imx=iraf.imexam(Stdout=1) after displaying fits in ds9,
mainly to get FWHM, star centroid, radial profile plot and statistics like
sigma, mean etc.

Do we have anything to basically do these interactive things in astropy?

If not, I plan to write one as described below. any suggestions?

1)load fits data as a numpy matrix using pyfits/io.fits
2)display fits using imshow of matplotlib
3)Use keystrokes to choose options like (a,e,r etc. of imexam)
4)Use MouseEvents in matplotlib to pick coordinates from display by
clicking.
5)use numpy to fit 2d gaussian / line to extracted data from matrix
6)use matplotlib to plot those results.

I am not much happy with using matplotlib's imshow to display fits images.
Is there any other display (like ds9) which provides MouseEvents ?
The 3d surface plots in matplotlib, i have found to be very slow when the
matrix is very large.
Even imshow is not very fast for large fits images.

Thanking you,
-cheers
joe

--
"GNU/Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste" -  GNU Generation

Joe Philip Ninan    http://sites.google.com/site/jpninan/
Research Scholar        /________________\
DAA,                            | Vadakeparambil |
TIFR,                           | Pullad P.O.         |
Mumbai-05, India.      | Kerala, India      |
Ph: +917738438212   | PIN:689548       |