[AstroPy] X marks the spot

Demitri Muna demitri.muna at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 17:54:45 EDT 2013

On Sep 10, 2013, at 3:21 PM, Perry Greenfield <stsci.perry at gmail.com> wrote:

> Have you looked at ginga?

I did a little while ago, but the installation process was so daunting on my Mac that I never ran it. I don't get the impression that things have changed.

On Sep 10, 2013, at 3:27 PM, Tim Jenness <tim.jenness at gmail.com> wrote:

> pyast is designed for this. The Plot classes are specifically there to support what you are asking. You define a Plot and then a mapping from your world coordinates to the plot window. It goes both ways so supports the feedback of you getting an ra/dec from a position on the plot as well as putting markers and lines on the plot using ra/dec.

Any simple example code? This has to be one of the simplest examples I can think of.

On Sep 10, 2013, at 3:32 PM, William Schoenell <wschoenell at gmail.com> wrote:

> There is some effort on developing a matplotlib-compatible API to do these plots... I saw few weeks ago but did not tried. Take a look on this link: https://github.com/astropy/astropy-api/blob/master/wcs_axes/wcs_api.md

That looks good (my problems with matplotlib notwithstanding), but `import from __future__` doesn't actually work like that. :)

On Sep 10, 2013, at 4:18 PM, David Shupe <shupe at ipac.caltech.edu> wrote:

> My first thought was APLpy: http://aplpy.github.io

We have a winner! APLpy takes it for ease of installation (normal process) and clear examples on the web site.

import aplpy
gc = aplpy.FITSFigure('V1.fits')
gc.show_grayscale()
gc.show_markers(187, -72.73, edgecolor='red', facecolor='red', marker='o', s=10, alpha=0.8)

Would have preferred that ra/dec were named parameters, but that's just being picky.

Cheers,
Demitri

Demitri Muna

Department of Astronomy