[AstroPy] X marks the spot

Christoph Deil deil.christoph at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 11 07:35:29 EDT 2013

On Sep 10, 2013, at 11:54 PM, Demitri Muna <demitri.muna at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 10, 2013, at 3:21 PM, Perry Greenfield <stsci.perry at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Have you looked at ginga?
>

> I did a little while ago, but the installation process was so daunting on my Mac that I never ran it. I don't get the impression that things have changed.

Hi Demitri,

I'm using Ginga on Mac and it works great.

Installing GUI packages is always a daunting task, but becomes easy when using a package manager.

To use Ginga on Mac, you can install Macports following the instructions at http://www.macports.org and then execute these commands to install Qt GUI:

sudo port install py27-pyside py27-astropy py27-pip

Then install Ginga:

pip-2.7 install ginga --user

Or use Python 3 if you prefer, that works as well.

Christoph