[AstroPy] X marks the spot

Demitri Muna demitri.muna at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 12:08:48 EDT 2013

On Sep 11, 2013, at 7:35 AM, Christoph Deil <deil.christoph at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Installing GUI packages is always a daunting task, but becomes easy when using a package manager.

Thanks for the directions. I know how to do that, but I'm not a fan of package managers. Most of the time installing something from source is just easy enough. I was burned many years ago by Fink, but I know that MacPorts is better and I've heard even better things about Homebrew (http://brew.sh). But I don't use any package managers on my Mac, and in particular I'd rather not have my Python installation be part of that either. I also have run into too many instances where the package was out of date compared to what I wanted to run. (On Linux, huge fan of package managers! But they're integral to the system.)

Is ginga driven by Python, or simply written in Python/GTK (and or Qt)? Can it be distributed as a standalone, double-clickable application with static libraries? These links look promising:

https://wiki.gnome.org/GTK+/OSX/Building
https://wiki.gnome.org/GTK%2B/OSX/Bundling

On Sep 10, 2013, at 9:04 PM, Erik Tollerud <erik.tollerud at gmail.com> wrote:

> That said, I think ginga is not necessarily what you want for this
> application, as it is more for interactive image viewing/GUI interface
> a la ds9 or atv.  And it sounds like you want to instead make plots
> (as you found, APLpy is probably the easiest there).

Well, you know me. I want everything. :)

Cheers,
Demitri

Demitri Muna

Department of Astronomy