[AstroPy] help with i2py software (Morris Stranger)

Slavin, Jonathan jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu
Mon Sep 23 15:12:00 EDT 2013

Morris,

As far as I know, i2py is an abandoned project.  I think it only worked
partially even when it was maintained.  Ouf of curiosity, which IDL
programs did you want to convert to python?  If you're familiar with IDL
but not so much with python, converting IDL programs to python is a good
way learn it.

Jon

Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 13:11:22 +0100
> From: Morris Stranger <ma.stranger at o2.co.uk>
> Subject: [AstroPy] help with i2py software
> To: astropy at scipy.org
>

> I'm having trouble using the i2py software. I have very little knowledge
> of computers (mainly just using my computer for the internet and
> downloading simple files). I am saying this because when someone gave me
> help last time, whilst I was very grateful, he was instructing me to do
> things that were beyond my knowledge. I want to get the i2py software
> working as a translator on my computer. My knowledge of python isn't very
> good either (I know how to make simple programs and how to work a bit with
> Numpy but nothing fancy).  I downloaded the software from this link:
> http://code.google.com/p/i2py/downloads/detail?name=i2py-0.1.0.zip&can=2&q=
> and I got a folder of files but I don't know beyond that how to get the
> IDl2python translator up and running. I would be very grateful if someone
> could help me with this.
>
> Thank You,
>
> Morris Stranger

Jonathan D. Slavin                 Harvard-Smithsonian CfA
jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu       60 Garden Street, MS 83
phone: (617) 496-7981       Cambridge, MA 02138-1516
fax: (617) 496-7577            USA