[AstroPy] Write machine readable tables in Python?

Moritz Günther moritz.guenther at gmx.de
Wed Apr 16 08:37:30 EDT 2014

Hi Paul,

yes, I am fully aware that the archived tables can be found via Vizier
and are separate from the online edition.

For an example see one of my recent papers where I used this feature:
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2012AJ....144..101G
It has data in the text (pdf or html), but it also has two data tables
that are available in CDS machine-readable tables:

http://vizier.cfa.harvard.edu/viz-bin/VizieR?-source=J/AJ/144/101

at an astronomical data center.
These tables are -as you say- separate from the printed edition. They
contain data that is not part of the pdf and they can be found using vizier.

Since I work in python, how did my data get from an astropy.table into
vizier format?
I send it to the AJ editorial office as a fits table and a plain
asciitable. The AJ editorial staff did the formating and the publishing.

However, if we had an CDSWriter tool in astropy, that would be even
better...

Moritz