[AstroPy] Question about WCS distortion coefficients

David Shupe shupe at ipac.caltech.edu
Tue Dec 16 17:22:07 EST 2014

> On Dec 16, 2014, at 11:50 AM, Brian York <york at stsci.edu> wrote:
>
> On 2014/12/16 13:59 , "Paul Kuin" <npkuin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> see
>> Shupe, D.L., et al., 2005, Astronomical Data Analysis Soft-
>>
>> ware and Systems XIV ASP Conference Series, Vol. 347, Proceedings of the
>> Conference held 24-27 October, 2004 in Pasadena, California, USA. Edited
>> by P. Shopbell, M. Britton, and R. Ebert. San Francisco: Astronomical
>> Soci- ety of the Pacific, 2005., p.491
>
> Thank you. This is definitely a helpful resource. What it does not have is
> any information about modifying an astropy.wcs.WCS object to include these
> coefficients (given that I am building one programmatically). Do you have
> any suggestions on that?
>
> 	-Brian

Brian, I have extensive experience in converting polynomials in various formats to WCS and SIP keywords suitable for inclusion in FITS headers. I haven’t worked much yet with the astropy.wcs.WCS class, but it does look like the constructor can take a dictionary of the keywords. I have some conversion functions written in Python and I’d be happy to help you off-list with converting your polynomials.

Regards,

David Shupe
IPAC/Caltech