[AstroPy] {SunPy} Re: Solar Limb Darkening Removal?

jim vickroy jim.vickroy at noaa.gov
Wed Feb 12 13:06:53 EST 2014

On 2/12/2014 10:38 AM, Steven Christe wrote:
> Hi Jim, I am actually working on this problem currently and have implemented a solution in SunPy. It is currently in a branch on my fork called hmi_fix which you can find here
>
> https://github.com/ehsteve/sunpy/blob/hmi_fix/sunpy/map/sources/sdo.py
>
> under the function called _angle_of_incidence
>
> This function clearly belongs in a higher level than the hmi map class. Let’s discuss what your needs are, what data you are working on, and we can work how we can best help you.
Hello Steven,

Thanks for your interest.  That is good news!

I'm working on automated Solar features classification which uses
mono-chromatic Solar images at various wavelengths.  Presently, the
classifier analyzes SDO-AIA (FITS) images, but we want to include
H-alpha (FITS) images (gong2.nso.edu) to hopefully improve Sunspot and
filament detection.  However, the limb-darkening, of the H-alpha images,
is proving problematic.  When GOES-R launches, we will switch to SUVI as
the UV images source.

Hopefully, I've answered your questions.

What is the next step here?  Shall I download your code and start to play?

-- jv