[AstroPy] example on phot class on astropysics

Erik Tollerud erik.tollerud at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 20:08:02 EST 2014

Hello Martin,

If you're looking for aperture photometry, I'd suggest photutils (
http://photutils.readthedocs.org/en/latest/photutils/aperture.html).
 That's where development will be in the future, and it's probably already
better for aperture photometry than astropysics has ever been or will be (I
can say that, because I'm the author ;).

If PSF photometry is more what you're looking for, you might try out
functionality that's due to get merge in photutils (
https://github.com/astropy/photutils/pull/26 , with a demo at
http://nbviewer.ipython.org/gist/adonath/6550989/PSFPhotometrySpitzer.ipynb
).

Hope that helps...

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 5:33 PM, Martin Beroiz <martinberoiz at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to do simple photometry on some images using the phot clases on
> astropysics.
> I read this page:
>
> http://pythonhosted.org/Astropysics/coremods/phot.html#astropysics.phot.PhotObservation
>
> and I tried some simple calls like:

> (Here sc is a 20x20 numpy array of float32's)
>
> Does anyone have a simple example on how to do some aperture photometry or
> the profile of the star? I don't seem to find any tool to do that.
>
> Also,

> Gives the error:
> TypeError: Improper input: N=5 must not exceed M=4
>
> ERROR: TypeError: Improper input: N=5 must not exceed M=4
> [scipy.optimize.minpack]
>
> for the same image, what could that be?
>

> Thanks!
> M.