[AstroPy] Some Feedbacks about Astropy

Guang Yang yg1991 at mail.ustc.edu.cn
Fri Jul 11 23:28:40 EDT 2014

> As for the "matching mode", the idea is that there are a lot of
> different "modes" people use, and match_to_catalog_sky (or
> match_to_catalog_3d) along with the `nthneighbor` argument should be
> flexible enough to take care of most of them.  Can you be more
> specific about exactly what sort of mode you think is missing?

Thanks for your response.

In fact, we *often* use one-one match. In the code you give, there might be repetitive elements in 'catalogwithmatches'.  For example, for source A in 'catalog' there might be source B & C in 'coordstomatch' that both satisfy the criterion 'd2d < 3*u.arcmin'.  In this case, we want to pick up only the nearest one, say if distance A_B < A_C, we only regard A_B as real match.

Though only several lines can carry it out, it's so frequently used that I think it should be a part of astropy.

best wishes,
guang