[AstroPy] Need Help about Astropy.table.Table.write

Derek Homeier derek at astro.physik.uni-goettingen.de
Fri Jul 25 09:10:50 EDT 2014

On 25 Jul 2014, at 03:00 pm, Peter Williams <peter at newton.cx> wrote:

> If there's a resource out there that gives a clear summary of allowed
> FITS units, the AstroPy error message should point people to it.

On reading it even gives suggestions for the correct keyword; I have not looked up where
exactly this is issued, but it should be straightforward to add other common misnomers there
(and extend the suggestion to the write call).
But there seem to be different levels of what deviations from the standard are tolerated?
The following is silently written back to a new FITS file (with the units unchanged, astropy 0.4):

vega = apt.Table.read('ftp://ftp.stsci.edu/cdbs/calspec/alpha_lyr_stis_007.fits')
WARNING: UnitsWarning: 'ANGSTROMS' did not parse as fits unit: At col 0, Unit 'ANGSTROMS' not supported by the FITS standard. Did you mean Angstrom or angstrom? [astropy.units.core]
WARNING: UnitsWarning: 'FLAM' did not parse as fits unit: At col 0, Unit 'FLAM' not supported by the FITS standard. Did you mean flm? [astropy.units.core]
WARNING: UnitsWarning: 'NONE' did not parse as fits unit: At col 0, Unit 'NONE' not supported by the FITS standard.  [astropy.units.core]
WARNING: UnitsWarning: 'SEC' did not parse as fits unit: At col 0, Unit 'SEC' not supported by the FITS standard. Did you mean EC? [astropy.units.core]

Cheers,
							Derek