[AstroPy] TAN--SIP -> TAN PV WCS projection conversion

David Shupe shupe at ipac.caltech.edu
Fri Jul 25 09:40:10 EDT 2014

Hi Octavi,

For the PV-to-SIP and SIP-to-PV codes we’ve developed (4th order), I’m close to completing the Caltech process for releasing the source code.

It is my intent to extend this to higher orders and to implement it in Astropy in some way. I’m just completing my very first pull request for Astropy on a simpler issue, so now that I’ve learned the workflow I really do want to make this contribution next. I need to ask for some help from the WCS experts for advice on where this would go.

Regards,
David

On Jul 24, 2014, at 4:47 PM, Octavi Fors <octavi at live.unc.edu> wrote:

> So a TAN--SIP->TAN-PV projection converter is what I'm looking for.
>
> Caltech PTF team (see SPIE paper) made these SIP<->PV converters to 4th order (not to 5th order, which is what I need). For license issues, they can only release the binaries here , but not the source code (which would allow me to extend the conversion formulas to 5th order).
>
> Is there anybody in astropy community who is planning to implement a method in WCS class for converting from SIP to PV projection?
> I would be more than happy to provide testing images.

David Shupe, Ph.D.
NASA Herschel Science Center, IPAC, Caltech
MC 100-22 | 1200 E. California Blvd, Pasadena, CA 91125 USA
email: shupe at ipac.caltech.edu