[AstroPy] Need Help about Astropy.table.Table.write

Derek Homeier derek at astro.physik.uni-goettingen.de
Tue Jul 29 17:43:09 EDT 2014

On 29 Jul 2014, at 09:39 pm, Phil Hodge <hodge at stsci.edu> wrote:

>> Meet Anders Jonas Ångström:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anders_Jonas_%C3%85ngstr%C3%B6m
>
> It's the abbreviation, not the full unit name, that begins with (or is)
> an upper case letter if the unit is named for a person.

As with newton or kelvin… But that leads a bit astray from the original problem.
I certainly think capitalisation variants should be tolerated, and specifically for
FITS I wonder if it even makes sense to raise a warning, as I have hardly seen
any real life FITS header that was not FORTRAN 6-style fully capitalised.
The example I gave was about angstroms, which is arguably poor language and
even unnecessarily creates a >8 character keyword, and ‘units’ like ‘FLAM’ which
are of course of relatively limited use.
My original point was if/why one could not offer similar suggestions for correct units
in the case of ‘ct’ instead of ‘counts’, but as Erik has clarified these suggestions are
simply heuristic guesses from utils.misc.did_you_mean.
Therefore it could not come up with a useful replacement for FLAM (and even a
truly smart algorithm or complete lexicographic database would have no way to
tell whether to suggest erg/s/cm**2/A, erg/s/cm**2/cm, W/m**2/um…

An interesting note btw. is that angstrom or Angstrom are listed in units.format.fits among
deprecated_units; however Fits is initialising its ._units from the union of units and deprecated_units,
and the ._deprecated_units from the union of deprecated_names and deprecated_units.
That’s why angstrom is even suggested as a replacement; not sure about the exact logic
behind this.

Cheers,
						Derek