[AstroPy] Lorentz Center Workshop on "Python in Astronomy"

Thomas Robitaille thomas.robitaille at gmail.com
Thu May 8 07:45:34 EDT 2014

Hi everyone,

Back in December last year I forwarded a call for proposals for
workshops at the Lorentz center to this list, and a few of us
subsequently put in an application to hold a Python Astronomy workshop.

We are now very happy to report that a "Python in Astronomy" workshop
has been accepted and will take place at the Lorentz center in Leiden on
20-24 April 2015. This workshop aims to bring together researchers,
Python developers, users, and educators, and will include presentations,
tutorials, unconference sessions, and coding sprints.

In addition to sharing information about the state-of-the art of Python
Astronomy packages, the workshop will also focus on improving
interoperability between astronomical Python packages, providing
training for new contributors, and developing a common set of
educational materials for Python in Astronomy. The meeting is therefore
not only aimed at current developers, but also users and educators.

A formal website and announcement will come later this year, but we
wanted to share this with you now so that you can keep the dates free if
you are interested in participating. In the mean time, you can already
sign up to receive future announcements about the workshop at the
following page:

  http://python-in-astronomy.github.io

Please feel free to spread the word to others that this is happening and
get them to sign up to the announcement list.

We are very excited about the opportunity to hold this workshop, and we
hope to see many of you there!

The organizing committee:

Thomas Robitaille
Pauline Barmby