[AstroPy] Request for Spectra files (in FITS format)

Derek Homeier derek at astro.physik.uni-goettingen.de
Tue May 20 10:38:49 EDT 2014

Hi Shailesh,

> I am working on the Google summer of code project for reading/writing spectra. To successfully cover all use cases, I need your help to provide me Spectra files in FITS format. At this stage we are most interested files that contain 1-dimensional extracted spectra (either long slit, multi-object or echelle) from optical or infrared spectrographs. But feel free to send any spectra that you would like to able to read easily with Astropy.

thanks for your work on this! Is this intended to become part of the specutils package,
or going directly into Astropy “core”?
I assume you’d be considering model spectra as well; I have one specific case however
in the high-resolution spectra here
http://phoenix.astro.physik.uni-goettingen.de/?page_id=10
which require the wavelengths to be read from a separate file (I suppose to deal with such
a case would require a new keyword for the FITS reader).

Cheers,
						Derek