[AstroPy] Job ad: LSST software lead @ U. Washington (research faculty)

Mario Juric mjuric at lsst.org
Sun Nov 2 01:33:40 EST 2014

Hi everyone,
	I wanted to bring to your attention a search (at the research faculty
level) for the lead of the Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST) data
pipelines effort at the University of Washington:

	https://jobregister.aas.org/node/49445

The ad itself is pasted below; I hope you find it interesting!

PS: Also as a heads up -- LSST will be hiring about a ~dozen more people
in the coming ~1-2 years (@ UW, Princeton, NCSA, SLAC, and LSST HQ in
Tucson) to develop various (open source, Python/C++) LSST toolkits and
processing pipelines. If you're interested in software for large
surveys, keep an eye on http://lsst.org/hiring.

Thanks (and do feel free to e-mail me with any questions!),
- Mario

========
Research Assistant or Research Associate Professor of Astronomy,
University of Washington - JRID49445

The Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST) is a planned, large-aperture,
wide-field, ground-based telescope that will survey half the sky every
few nights in six optical bands. It will create the world's first
high-definition movie of the universe, detect hazardous asteroids, help
uncover the mysteries of dark energy and dark matter, and more. With an
8-meter class telescope, a 3.2 gigapixel camera with a 2-second readout,
and a state-of-the-art petascale data management system, the LSST will
process, archive, and distribute over 15 TB of data produced every
night. Once completed, the LSST will be the largest and most modern
optical survey project ever built.

The LSST Data Management system will be constructed by a team of about
50 members residing at partner institutions across the United States and
Chile. It will include a data processing system spanning two continents,
new state-of-the-art image processing algorithms, petascale computing
clusters with tens of thousands of cores, large distributed databases,
and next-generation analysis toolkits, among others. All LSST DM code is
free software (GPL v3), written in modern Python and C++.

The University of Washington (UW) LSST team is responsible for the
development of the algorithms and software that will analyze this
nightly data stream (including the detection and characterization of
transients, variables, and moving sources). To support this work at UW,
we are soliciting applications for the position of Research Assistant or
Research Associate Professor in the Department of Astronomy. University
of Washington faculty engage in teaching, research and service. The
successful candidate will lead the LSST data management group at UW, and
is expected to play a leading role in the development of the software
for the nightly processing of the LSST data (including, but not limited
to, the development of algorithms for image subtraction, the detection
of transient and variable sources, and the characterization of transient
and variable sources) and the application of the LSST Data Management
system to simulated and precursor survey data. Pending appointment
renewal, external funding to help support the position is anticipated to
be available for up to the duration of LSST construction (8 years), with
the potential opportunity for continuation into Survey Operations (10
years).

The ideal candidate is an astronomer with strong interest in large
surveys, hands-on experience with development of astronomical software,
and the potential to lead a highly skilled team. A PhD in physics,
astronomy, computer science or a related field is required. Strong C++
and Python skills, and experience with the development and application
of image subtraction techniques to large astronomical surveys is preferred.

Please send a statement of professional interests, CV, bibliography, and
the names of at least three people who may be contacted for letters of
reference. Application reviews will begin immediately, and continue
through November 30, 2014 or until the position is filled. Documents
will be accepted electronically in a single pdf file sent to the
attention of Mario Juric, search committee chair, at
mjuric at astro.washington.edu, with subject line "research faculty
application (your name)".

The University of Washington is proud to be one of the nation's premier
educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important
asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and
community service. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and
professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for
diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic
pursuits, and natural beauty.

The University of Washington is an affirmative action and equal
opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to, among other things,
race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, status as protected
veterans, or status as qualified individuals with disabilities
========

--
Mario Juric,
UW Astronomy Faculty | UW eScience | LSST DM Project Scientist