[AstroPy] fourpiskytools - simple Python examples for sending and receiving VOEvents

Tim Staley tim.staley at astro.ox.ac.uk
Thu Nov 13 09:07:45 EST 2014

Hi all,

if any of you are working on follow-up of transient events, you might be
interested in a package I've just put together:

https://github.com/timstaley/fourpiskytools

The package aims to provide a 'minimum working example' of how one might
get started working with VOEvents, that can be easily adapted for your
specific needs.

VOEvents are the standardised format for distributing alerts (gamma-ray
burst here, detected in optical, etc etc), and are intended to be
machine readable, as opposed to the current typical method of posting
human-written reports as ATels or on a dedicated project website. The
transport protocol uses a 'keep-alive' connection, so they're also
pretty low-latency (compared with e.g. sending emails). Finally, as
compared to say NASA-GCN, they are flexible enough to be adapted for
many different telescopes, and support a decentralised publication model.

The hope is that if we can get more teams on-board and using VOEvent, it
opens up a slew of possibilities for rapid event classification and
targeted follow-up.

Note that fourpiskytools is built on voevent-parse
(http://voevent-parse.readthedocs.org/en/master/), a package for which
I'm currently considering how best to integrate the astropy core
functionality, so if that would be useful to you and you'd like to see
it soon then drop a note on the relevant issue:
https://github.com/timstaley/voevent-parse/issues/2

Happy transient hunting!

-Tim