[AstroPy] APLpy 0.9.13 released (includes important note about 0.9.11 and 0.9.12)

Thomas Robitaille thomas.robitaille at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 09:19:02 EDT 2014

Hi everyone,

I am pleased to announce the release of APLpy 0.9.13! APLpy is a
Python module that makes it easy to interactively produce
publication-quality plots of astronomical images:

  http://aplpy.github.io/

Important Note: this version fixes a bug that was introduced in 0.9.11
and was also present in 0.9.12 which caused the pixel scale to be
wrongly estimated if the WCS included a significant rotation (e.g.
CROTA2) component. This could lead to beam sizes, scalebars, and
overlays in general to have incorrect sizes by up to a factor of
sqrt(2) in the worst case, but does not affect images with no
rotation. This bug is now fixed in 0.9.13, which is therefore a highly
recommended update for all users. Versions prior to 0.9.11 were not
affected. I am very sorry for allowing this bug to creep in and
apologize for any inconvenience. Thanks to Adam Ginsburg for providing
a fix!

Over the last year, APLpy has been growing a robust set of tests that
will make these kind of issues much less likely in future. In
particular, thanks to work by Asra Nizami, an Astropy GSoC student
this summer, APLpy now has robust pixel-by-pixel image tests.

In addition to this critical bug fix, this version includes a number
of other minor bug fixes, and adds the ability to set the title of a
figure with FITSFigure.set_title.

If you use pip or easy_install, you should now be able to update to 0.9.13:

pip install aplpy --upgrade

Please let me know if you have any issues with this release! The best
place to report any issues is via GitHub:

  https://github.com/aplpy/aplpy/issues

Thanks,
Tom