[AstroPy] Bug in wcs_world2pix?

David Berry d.berry at jach.hawaii.edu
Fri Sep 19 09:13:05 EDT 2014

On 19 September 2014 13:23, Michael Droettboom <mdroe at stsci.edu> wrote:
> I've brought this to Mark Calabretta's attention -- he may have an idea.

wcslib provides an option to switch this sort of range checking on or
off. With pyast, I take the attitude that the answer to the question
(in this case)  "what pixel has coords RA=211 Dec=-26" is "no pixel
has those coords", and so pyast will always return "NaN" values in
such circumstances. To return apparently usable values which are in
fact wrong is just asking for problems in my opinion.

David