[AstroPy] IAU Commission for Astronomical Software?

Thomas Robitaille thomas.robitaille at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 07:45:19 EDT 2014

Hi everyone,

A little while ago, the IAU put out a call for proposals for new
commissions for the IAU. As you will notice here:

http://www.iau.org/science/scientific_bodies/commissions/

there are commissions on data and documentation, but there are
surprisingly no commissions on software! (this was brought to my
attention by Stephen Serjeant from the Open University).

My question is the following: is anyone here leading or aware of
anyone leading a proposal for a software commission?

In case no one has already started this, I have created a google group
that you can sign up to if you are interested in helping out with such
an effort:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/iau-software-commission-proposal

I am not an IAU member so I will not be able to lead this proposal,
but I would be interested in helping out if someone here wants to take
the lead!

Cheers,
Tom