[AstroPy] Interested in a wavelet toolbox?

Aldcroft, Thomas aldcroft at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Apr 2 15:43:47 EDT 2015

Hi Amara,

Though I'm not officially speaking for the Astropy project, I would say
that a wavelets package like you are proposing would be a highly valued
addition to the Astropy analysis environment.  From personal experience the
primary source detection algorithm for Chandra X-ray sources is based on
wavelets and this has been quite successful.

The normal starting point for a project like this would be as an Astropy
affiliated package [1, 2].  An affiliated package is an astronomy-related
Python package that is not part of the astropy core package, but has
requested to be included as part of the Astropy project’s community. These
packages are expressing an interest in Astropy’s goals of improving reuse,
interoperability, and interface standards for python astronomy and
astrophysics packages.  As a package matures it could be considered for
inclusion in the core astropy package.

The question of continued maintenance after the primary development funding
dries up also points to becoming part of the Astropy and open-source
development community from the start.  A key element here is doing
development on Github right away rather than waiting until it is fully
written and tested.  While there are no guarantees, if a project is useful
enough to engage other members of community then that provides hope for
on-going maintenance.

Cheers,
Tom

[1]: http://docs.astropy.org/en/stable/overview.html#affiliated-packages