[AstroPy] Interested in a wavelet toolbox?

Christoph Deil deil.christoph at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 2 18:33:38 EDT 2015

> On 02 Apr 2015, at 23:40, Ricky Egeland <ricky.egeland at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I was searching for a well-tested wavelet library in Python a few months ago, and did not find anything fully satisfactory.  I wanted a continuous wavelet transform using the Morlet mother wavelet, with significance contours.  I feel like such a package belongs in scipy more than it does astropy, as wavelets are a general signal processing technique not restricted to astronomy.

Hi Amara,

I agree with Ricky here … a good wavelets toolbox belongs in Scipy because it’s useful to many scientist and engineers.
If you can contribute there, here’s a starting point: https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues/3931 <https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues/3931> (and I’ve put Ralf Gommers as lead on this effort in CC).

Then there’s probably going to be astronomy-specific wavelets and wavelet methods and these could go in Astropy or an Astropy-affiliated package.
But I don’t think we should duplicate the functionality that’s already implemented in the packages listed below and that will hopefully soon become available in Scipy.

Christoph