[AstroPy] writing FITS files fast

Demitri Muna demitri.muna at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 18:01:02 EDT 2015

Hi Ivan,

On Apr 19, 2015, at 4:40 PM, Ivan Zolotukhin <ivan.zolotukhin at gmail.com> wrote:

> ...but fitsio does not seem to support 64 bit integers which is another
> requirement I have.
>
> What's the fastest solution to write FITS files that's available on
> the python market? Am I missing something in the astropy
> configuration?

Erin Sheldon’s fitsio is, as you've found, the fastest solution on the market. It wraps cfitsio under the hood. My guess is that adding the functionality to support 64 bit integers is probably not a lot of work, and very likely a fair bit less work than getting astropy.io.fits to be as fast.

Cheers,
Demitri

Demitri Muna

Department of Astronomy