[AstroPy] Convert FITS header into astropy Table entries?

Erik Bray embray at stsci.edu
Wed Aug 19 10:54:46 EDT 2015

On 08/19/2015 10:36 AM, Jens Melinder wrote:
> Hi,
> there are a couple of problems with doing it that way I think.
>
> 1. Table will not like column names with the same name. For fits headers these
> are the HISTORY and COMMENT fields which will have multiple entries in the
> output list you get from h0.keys().

Fortunately though when you do header['COMMENT'] or header['HISTORY'] it
automatically combines the values of all COMMENT or HISTORY cards into a single,
newline-separated value, so that makes things a little simpler)

What's more of a problem if you have duplicates of any non-commentary keyword
(ex: a duplicate OBSERVER keyword).  This *should* never be the case, but
technically FITS allows it, though it's strongly discouraged.  In my example
below I ignore that case since it's fairly rare.

> 2. While not 100% certain I think also the empty keys (which are used to split
> the HST fist headers into different sections) will cause problems.

Right--they're treated the same as COMMENT and HISTORY cards (their keyword is
just the empty string like in your example below).

> 3. Finally, there is also a small syntax error in your call to Table. Instead of
> writing rows=h0.values() you should write rows = [h0.values()] (making it a list
> of lists)
>
> If you don’t need the HISTORY and COMMENT fields a simple fix maybe something
> like this:
> keys_cl=[]
> vals_cl=[]
> for ii in range(len(h0.keys())):
> if (h0.keys()[ii] != ’’)&(h0.keys()[ii] != ’HISTORY’)&(h0.keys()[ii] != ’COMMENT’):
> keys_cl.append(h0.keys()[ii])
> vals_cl.append(h0.values()[ii])
>
> tab = Table(rows=[vals_cl],names=keys_cl)

This example has a couple issues--for one header.keys() returns a generator so
you can't just index it directly.  I think a simpler approach is:

 >>> unique_keys = sorted(set(header))
 >>> t = Table(rows=[[header[k] for k in unique_keys]], names=unique_keys)

If you wanted to exclude commentary keywords like '', 'COMMENT', and 'HISTORY'
you might instead do:

 >>> unique_keys = sorted(key for key in header
...                      if key not in ('', 'COMMENT', 'HISTORY'))

This all also assumed that all the headers you're processing have the exact same
set of keywords in them.  If that weren't the case you might have do take a
subtly different approach to determining what columns your table should have
(for example by looping over all headers first and adding their header keywords
to a set of all known keywords).

Erik