[AstroPy] How can I add another name to a registered unit?

Duncan Macleod duncan.macleod at ligo.org
Tue Feb 3 16:09:26 EST 2015

Hi all,

I’m wondering how to add another name to an already registered unit. The example I have is a data file containing the unit string ‘Degrees_F’ - meaning Fahrenheit. I understand I can enable a new unit called ‘Degrees_F’ that represents the original ‘deg_F/Fahrenheit' unit from units.imperial, but what I’d really like to do is just register the string ‘Degrees_F’ as another name for ‘deg_F’, rather than an equivalent unit.

In the end I’d like to see the following:

>>> units.Unit(‘Degrees_F’)
Unit(‘deg_F’)

Is this possible?

Thanks