[AstroPy] Converting ndarrays of year, month, days to JD?

Mario Juric mjuric at lsst.org
Sat Feb 21 04:05:50 EST 2015

On 2/20/15 3:44 , Aldcroft, Thomas wrote:
> Hi Mario,
>
> Your best bet (right now) is probably to use the ERFA library directly.
> This is bundled in astropy.time.  You can get an example of this here:
>
>   https://github.com/astropy/astropy/blob/v1.0/astropy/time/core.py#L1427
>
> Note that this example uses the name erfa_time.dtf_jd as an alias to the
> actual routine name dtf2d.  See [1] for some words about the aliasing,
> but the short version is you should probably use dtf2d to be safe.
>
> An even better option would be to implement this as a new astropy Time
> format.  I've opened an issue to provide some detail:
>
>   https://github.com/astropy/astropy/issues/3527

Hi Tom et al,
	Thanks for your help! I'll look into using ERFA directly for now
(didn't know that was an option).

	Implementing a format looks like the way to go given the current APIs;
I'll try coding it up if someone doesn't beat me to it (may take me a
few weeks to find some free time).

Thanks again,
--
Mario Juric,
UW Astronomy Faculty | UW eScience | LSST DM Project Scientist