[AstroPy] Proper Motions in astropy.coordinates

Russell Owen rowen at uw.edu
Tue May 12 12:47:48 EDT 2015

It is not a hard computation, but I suggest working in spherical coordinates or using spherical trig for best results.

If you want a ready made solution, I wrote two that might be of interest:

- RO.Astro performs astronomical coordinate conversions, and handles proper motion, parallax and radial velocity. It is part of the RO package, which is pure python <https://pypi.python.org/pypi/RO>. pip install works.

- CoordConv is much faster  (C++ with Python wrappers), but has many dependencies, including slalib, so it takes more work to install. <https://github.com/r-owen/coordConv>. I wrote this package for the Apache Point Observatory telescope control system.

Both packages also include a spherical trig solver and convenient conversion between spherical and cartesian coordinates.

-- Russell